Our History

Koo Wee Rup is part of the Cranbourne/Pakenham growth corridor and significant growth in population has already begun and is expected to continue over the next ten years.

The district has an interesting history, having been a swamp originally. It suffered many floods, the most renowned being the Great Flood in 1934 that covered the township to a depth of three metres. Much drainage work and engineering have taken place to make the "swamp" one of the most productive areas in Victoria.

The economy of the area is based on agriculture - dairying, asparagus, potatoes, other vegetable crops and light industry. Many people commute to Dandenong, Cranbourne and Pakenham for employment.

St John the Baptist Primary School was founded on August 9th, 1936. Many Dutch and Italian families settled in the area in the early 1950's and these two groups, now into the second and third generations, are still prominent in the school population.

A growing percentage of the children live in the township with the remainder commuting by bus from Tooradin, Lang Lang, Grantville, Bayles, Catani, Cardinia and Blind Bight.

St John the Baptist Primary School is part of the Parish of St John the Baptist Koo Wee Rup which is in partnership with the neighbouring Iona/Maryknoll Parish.

 

Our Community respectfully acknowledges, and pays our respect to the Elders, both past and present, as the traditional owners of the land on which St John the Baptist Primary School is situated.