At St John’s we are committed to providing your child with an excellent education. The building blocks of a great education begin with all students coming to school each and every day.
Regular school attendance is vital.
A child absent for one day per fortnight will miss four full weeks of school by the end of the year. By the end of Year 10 they will have missed more than one full year of school.
When kids miss school, not only is their academic progress impeded, forcing them to catch up on missed work (which some never do), they often miss important interactions with their peers which can compound issues of social isolation and low self-esteem.
The Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 (Vic) reinforced the existing Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic) in relation to compulsory enrolment and attendance at school for children and young people aged 6 to 17 years, unless an exemption from attendance has been granted.
In accordance with the legislation;
- parents are required to enrol their child at a registered school.
- parents must ensure that their child attends school on a regular basis.
- parents must provide a reasonable explanation for any absence from school.
- parents can now be fined for not sending children to school without an acceptable reason.
- schools have the responsibility to record student attendance twice per day.
- schools must document all reasons for non-attendance and unexplained absences must be also be noted.
- attendance data is regularly monitored and analysed to identify student absence patterns on a school, class and individual basis.
- the Principal must be able to determine from the attendance records if an excuse provided is reasonable in terms of the parents meeting their legal obligations.
Implementation of these procedures should help to determine the appropriate follow up required to ensure a child’s education and wellbeing is supported.
As a school, we use an electronic roll to record daily attendance which we monitor closely to ensure that we receive an explanation for all student absences.
- All absences require a written note signed by a parent even when the parent has already advised the classroom teacher or school office staff in person or by telephone.
- Pro Forma Absence Notes are available to download via this link, to use as required.
- A notification sent through St John’s Skoolbag App is sufficient, provided it has been signed by a parent.
- Where an extended absence is planned in advance (eg a family holiday), permission for that absence should be obtained from the school principal. Such a request must be in writing and once permission has been granted, that correspondence will be treated as notification for the purposes of our attendance records.
- Where an extended absence is planned also speak with your child’s classroom teacher as early as possible to create a personal absence learning plan for your child.
- Unexplained absences will be followed up by an SMS notification or by telephone in the first instance, however where there are a number of unexplained absences, further follow-up will be in writing.
If you are experiencing attendance issues with your child, please speak with your child’s classroom teacher or the Principal so that we may work together to support your child in attending school every day.